‚Č° Menu

Spring Cleaning

The good thing about documenting your wardrobe in photos is that you can visually see the changes over time.

It’s been over six months since I had a wardrobe purge and it’s time for another round. It’s not that I don’t have closet space, but I choose to leave half of the available space empty and work on streamlining what I own. I don’t have a separate wardrobe for spring or winter since I have few pieces that are strictly seasonal.

When it comes to getting rid of clothes, I put aside the ones I no longer want or wear. Then, I take them to a few second-hand shops where the last drop-off left me with $115 for a couple pairs of jeans, jackets, and boots. Whatever remained, I donated to local charities.

Even with this purge, I know my closet is still bloated. It’s a continual process and perhaps in the next five years, my clothes will take up less space but I would wear them more often.

Back in October, I had a box-shelf that contained causal pants, sweaters, tees, and non-jewelry accessories. It’s about 1/4 of my closet and it looked like this:

I still have too many pairs of jeans, but since October, I have cut my casual pant collection in half! In the process, I doubled my sweater and knit tops collection. Also, I picked up a few pieces of active wear which are located in the box on the far left.

Now, it looks like this:

Though some of the items are different now, the amount I own hasn’t changed much. I’ve been taking inventory of my clothes but it’s not complete. It’s easier to keep track of jackets, skirts, and pants than tops. I guess I change tops pretty often and I’m not quite sure how to categorize them.

Above the box-shelf hangs all my jackets and skirts. This part of my collection is pretty stable but I want more pattern and color in this section. Being in LA, my jackets don’t get much usage, but my skirts see the sun quite often.

So far, this is half my wardrobe. The other half contains dresses, tops, and dress pants. I haven’t taken photos of the other half because it’s still unruly and I’m working on making it look neat and tidy.

What are your tips to keeping a closet organized?

• Kerry June 3, 2010, 10:40 am

I lived for many years in various apartments with no real closet or any type of dresser/wardrobe/shelf system. It was awful – clothes were stored in plastic storage bins. Now that I finally live in a house with a large custom closet (we designed it ourselves with a kit from Home Depot), I frequently rearrange things in there.

One thing I do is to use a ‘folding board’ just like they do in retail stores to fold my knit tops and sweaters to keep them nice and neat. I worked in an outlet mall store when I was in HS so I learned the fine art of merchandising knit t shirts. I fold them with a piece of rectangular cardboard (I think it came with a soft cover text book that was shrink wrapped) and place them in color order on the shelf. I keep graphic/casual Ts together and nicer knit tops in a separate stack.

I managed to never buy that many pairs of jeans – I own only 5 pairs and they all get regular use. The rest of my pants are dressy trousers that hang over a hanger in the closet next to skirt. Sweaters are folded using the folding board if they are pull over and also stacked on shelves. Cardigans are folded and stacked as well.

I recently did a purge and got together with a bunch of friends for a clothing swap. We take what we want and then donate the rest to a second hand shop or charity. It makes for a great opportunity to pick up a few things for free (hello Brooks Bro’s XS fine Italian merino wool sweater NWT that friend never wore) and get ride of everything I do not want at once.

• me in millions June 4, 2010, 7:51 am

I just did what I’ve been calling “the great closet cleanout.” I got rid of a bunch of stuff and I’m in the process (I’m being a little lazy) of taking it to be consigned. Might as well make a few buck off of it, right?

• good girl gone blog June 4, 2010, 12:15 pm

I’m definitely a closet purger too. Still, the thing I can’t get rid of is shoes. I have some from when I was in middle school!

• Stylepint June 6, 2010, 7:24 pm

For some reason, shoes are always more difficult to part with than clothes.

• PetiteXXS June 4, 2010, 11:22 pm

I used to think that I didn’t have a lot of clothes because they were all rammed together… but I just rehung all my clothes into the new closet and spread them out a little, and compared to your pics, I think I might have too much! I do hang up all my tanks and tees though… maybe that’s what taking up so much room.

• Stylepint June 6, 2010, 7:27 pm

Well, I only put up half my closet, but the other half is more cramped. I don’t like to hang everything because I get too lazy to put things back on hangers when a drawer would suffice for me. =)

• Elaine, clothed much June 6, 2010, 1:03 pm

That’s great! I recently realized you don’t need a lot of clothes to be stylish. It doesn’t make sense to me because you end up wearing only 10% of it anyway. But like you said with less clothes you’ll end up wearing all of them. i can’t wait to see the final result!

• Stylepint June 6, 2010, 7:28 pm

Definitely! I’m still working on remixing my wardrobe better so hopefully I won’t have to rely on purchasing new items to create new outfits.

• Della @ Della Grace's Life June 6, 2010, 1:18 pm

I always color code my clothes by style; i.e. blouses, sweaters, ect. This works really well for me! But living on the east coast, I have a warm weather closet and a cold weather closet…but really, I don’t have that many clothes since I love to layer pieces. My winter wardrobe mainly consist of wool skirts and tights. :)

• Stylepint June 6, 2010, 7:29 pm

I have my categories, but I don’t have much to coordinate so I just stick them in randomly…as long as the jackets are all in one place, I won’t have trouble finding things.

• PetiteAsianGirl June 6, 2010, 7:32 pm

After your post about consignment I checked out some local shops hoping to do the same. Unfortunately, they don’t seem to have a clean buy program like the one you went to where you can just drop off and be done with it. I ended up just dumping the really unfashionable things at goodwill, then bringing the rest back to my parents’ house to clutter up my old bedroom : )

Loving the organized shelves in your closet. It just feels so great to havea minimalistic closet. I can’t stand racks and racks of clothes that never get worn!