Out of Sequins

I’m still in the midst of moving  and some unexpected hiccups slowed my transition to Norcal. So I’m in LA for a little while longer and I’m savoring every last minute of it.

For New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day, I had a quiet, low-key weekend.

arden b, sequin tiered dress

Initially, I thought about busting out this festive outfit for a party, but as the days drew nearer, I wanted to stay away from the crowds and the hotspots. I’ve done the ball drop thing at Times Square (in Hong Kong) and that was quite anti-climatic.

And being dance challenged, I avoided the clubs so as not to embarrass myself.

arden b, sequin tiered dress

Outfit Details: Arden B. dress – XS, H&M earrings, Zara thigh high boots

Instead, I spend NYE at Rock Sugar for dinner and watched Tron Legacy. I’m a Tron nerd. I first saw it at a technology convention as a sophomore in high school and it stuck with me every since. The new movie had great graphics and visuals but I still like the original better. The rest of the weekend was spent relaxing and packing some more.

My New Year’s Resolutions

1. Streamline my beauty routine to use less products with less chemicals.
  2. Remix my wardrobe without spending a fortune on new clothes and still look fabulous. Maybe even discover local designers to support.
  3. Learn French, Japanese, or Korean so I can watch foreign films and read their fashion magazines. I want to understand the articles, not just the pretty pictures.

What are your New Year’s Resolutions and how is it going this first week?

• Elle January 5, 2011, 7:19 am

That dress is too cute and very festive indeed. I had a very low key NYE too and just stayed in, ate a lot, watched tv and caught up on blogs…I have been to time square for the countdown a few times and agree that these big shows are entirely anti-climatic.

I like your resolution, mine are similar (but I am not as ambitious…learning some french in the future is good enough for me). :)

• Petite Mom January 5, 2011, 8:54 am

You look cute and flirty in that dress. I was all over sequins for the holidays too but didn’t end up doing anything special enough to warrant the bling. Sometimes, the best times are spent in PJs at home.

My new year’s resolutions are very basic this year – purge, organize, shop, socialize, and cook more. I am always looking for healthier alternatives to makeup and food too. You may want to try 100% Pure Cosmetics. I tried their lipstick recently and I liked it a lot. I reviewed it on my blog if you want more info.

Happy New Year!

• MizzJ January 5, 2011, 10:04 am

Love your outfit! I think my fav part of NYE is the dressing up haha. Good luck on your resolutions!

• Erin January 5, 2011, 10:30 am

Wow I love every part of the outfit! I need some sequins in my life ASAP!

Your resolutions are awesome… good luck learning new languages, that has always been a dream of mine but I don’t have the knack for it :(

OH also, if you are looking for a new chemical free shampoo and conditioner, I really like DANU (www.danuhaircare.com). I’ve been using it for the better part of a year and so far I have zero complaints.

• Em January 5, 2011, 12:29 pm

Yay for thigh-high boots! Very fierce.

• Alterations Needed January 5, 2011, 1:34 pm

Love Rock Sugar! Ohh…learning French would be wonderful. I love French Vogue, but sadly only for the photos.

• Kileen January 5, 2011, 2:47 pm

this dress is perfect for NYE and i love how you paired the thigh-high boots with it! i had a really low-key NYE too and just spent it at home relaxing with the bf. perfect in my mind! :)

best of luck with your new year’s resolutions. learning Japanese has long been on my life’s todo list… but i know it’s not going to happen this year.

• Megan January 5, 2011, 3:33 pm

Love the dress and the boots!

Some of our resolutions are similiar- I posted mine here :)

Good luck with the rest of the moving process- hope it all goes smoothly

• PetiteLittleGirl January 5, 2011, 4:10 pm

Jess, you look super adorable. Very cute outfit for the New Year. Those boots are hot. I am liking my closet remix so far. Good luck with your moving :)

• leena January 5, 2011, 4:19 pm

those boots are hawt! and i’m lovin the nail polish! what is it?

• really petite January 5, 2011, 4:34 pm

you look gorgeous!!!! love this look!

• Michelle January 5, 2011, 4:35 pm

You look stunning!!

I love your dancing pic! Too cute!! You always have such pretty smiles in your photos! And awesome eyebrows! :)

• The Little Dust Princess January 5, 2011, 5:52 pm

Oh you’re so cute! You look beautiful in that dress :D Good luck with the resolutions! Learning the languages will be hard : )

xx The Little Dust Princess

• SewPetiteGal January 5, 2011, 6:49 pm

Oooh, love the dress and looking forward to your remixes! Your outfits are such an inspiration to me – my favorite was the menswear posting :)

• Cee January 5, 2011, 7:12 pm

Oh wow, I loveeee those boots! Personally I find thigh-highs to be hard to pull off, but you nailed this look! So festive but badass at the same time :) What languages do you currently speak? French might be easiest if you’re already familiar with a romance language. Japanese might be easier if you already know Chinese. But they’re all useful languages to know. Best of luck!

• Vicky January 5, 2011, 7:30 pm

Love your whole outfit, Jess! Lovely! Not many people can pull that look off, you know. :) And talking about ambition! What language do you speak now besides English?

• Grace January 5, 2011, 9:38 pm

LOVE this outfit! You sure look like you’re having fun posing in your outfit – <3 it, you look so cute!

• admin January 5, 2011, 11:12 pm

@Elle: I think as you get older, low key days feel so much better since you don’t have to stress about the crowds and parking!

@Petite Mom: I will try 100% Pure Cosmetics, it sounds wonderful! =)

@MizzJ: I love dressing up too and I think it allows me to dress in ways I don’t normally do.

@Erin: I’ll try DANU, I know Burt’s Bees has a shampoo bar and I was itching to try…so I’ll have to add it to my list!

@Em: Thanks! I’m making the most of my boots since I didn’t wear them as much last year.

• admin January 5, 2011, 11:18 pm

@AlterationsNeeded: Rock Sugar was amazing indeed! And I love how French sounds and I could never pick it up as easily as Spanish, but then again, it wasn’t a required class.

@Kileen: Thanks for the support! I really enjoy reading Japanese mags and even listen to J-pop, but I never learned enough to be satisfied.

@Megan: The moving process is always the more time-consuming and painful part but as soon as it’s over, it’ll be relatively smooth sailing.

@PetiteLittleGirl: It’s great that you’re enjoying remixing your wardrobe. Keep it up! =)

• admin January 5, 2011, 11:32 pm

@Really Petite: Thanks for the compliment!

@Michelle: Wow! You notice the little details! I try to keep my smile as natural as possible and the best photos are always the impromptu ones…I’m horrible at those posed, forced shots.

@The Little Dust Princess: I’ve always had a love affair with languages, but they don’t always love me back. Picking one and sticking with it will be my greatest challenge, but I’m excited.

@SewPetiteGal: Thanks so much! I love to try new things and I’ve never considered my outfits as inspiration, but it’s great that you like them! =)

@Cee: When I first saw thigh high boots, I thought they were great but I wasn’t sure I could pull them off either. But since I got them as a gift, I’ve really attempted to make them look great and they go with so many things that I don’t think they’re that crazy to wear. I know sort of speak Cantonese and Spanish, but I can read Spanish better than I can read Chinese.

@Vicky: I think if more people experimented with OTK boots and thigh highs, they would probably discover that they’re not as scary as it might seem. I know you’ve been wearing OTK boots and they look great on you!

@Grace: I love keeping my photos dynamic and action oriented since it makes the whole outfit look lively too. It bugs me sometimes when people are wearing fab dresses but they look so sad in the photos!

• Curls and Pearls January 6, 2011, 3:25 pm

You are so beautiful! I love that outfit! Good luck with your resolutions :0

• Shannon January 6, 2011, 6:04 pm

Oooh, love the sequins and the OTK boots! Also, your nail polish is so pretty.
    I haven’t seen either Tron movie yet…looks like I have to Netflix the original first!

• ML January 6, 2011, 7:09 pm

Oh my, I think this is one of my favourite NYE outfit! You absolutely sparkle!

besos,

ML
    Happy, Happy New Year!

20 YORK STREET

• PetiteAsianGirl January 6, 2011, 8:40 pm

Quiet NYE’s are the best! Even though you didn’t bust out this outfit it’s still very beautiful, festive and edgy. I can’t dance either but I have no shame in embarrassing myself!

• Jen January 6, 2011, 10:28 pm

Cute outfit– I love the dress! And it was really cool to read your 2010 review post– it’s very interesting to see how you’ve changed/grown/evolved!

• admin January 6, 2011, 11:00 pm

@Curls and Pearls: Thanks, I’ll be working on the resolutions diligently.

@Shannon: The nail polish is Forever 21, I saw it on sale a while ago and wanted to try it out. It’s a pretty color! The original Tron is amazing, go see it! =)

@ML: Thank you, I think it’s a fun outfit too!

@PetiteAsianGirl: I appreciate the quieter days as I get older and I think it’s more memorable in a positive way too.

@Jen: I’m glad you liked the 2010 review, I’ve certainly changed and I don’t think I’ll stop changing.

• Ro January 7, 2011, 10:58 am

Good luck with your move! I lived in the Bay Area for college – it’s so different from L.A. and it was a nice change. I’m moving out of L.A. myself in a couple of weeks.

Did you get to check out the Tron Pop-up at Royal/T? I’m finally going to watch the movie today!

• admin January 8, 2011, 11:08 pm

I didn’t get to see the Tron Pop-Up, but seems cool. The Bay Area has a different dynamic than LA but it’s a welcome change. =)