PFC #9: Heat-Wave Appropriate

With summer going on strong, we all have to find ways to beat the heat while still looking polished. For this month’s Petite Fashion Challenge, Elle of Fast Food and Fast Fashion issued the following fashion dilemma.

The Challenge

To create an outfit that accounts for the various environmental factors that plague us in the summer. How do you dress when it’s 90 degrees outside and 65 degrees inside? Do you utilize peel-able layers? Are you particular about choosing fabric that is light but resistant? Or do you just tack on a blazer over summer clothes?

heat wave appropriate summer work outfit tank and tapered pants

When the weather heats up, I like to wear loose layers so the clothes don’t stick to my body. I’m a silk lover and though not everyone likes dry cleaning or hand-washing their clothes, I don’t mind much. So for summer, I wear loose silk items to stay cool in simple neutrals to make it easy to mix and match outfits.

The weather in Northern California isn’t quite as dynamic as the East Coast. It rarely hits 100+ degrees and the indoor temperature is always at an “energy-efficient” 76 degrees, but once the fog starts to roll in, the chill creeps up on you. Compared to LA and other cities, it’s cooler than it is hot. But even with a small temperature drop, I still reach for a third layer at the slightest breeze.

heat wave appropriate summer work outfit tank tapered pants

Dresses and skirts are the go-to item for many, but I’m a pant-lover through and through. Pencil skirts seem too restricting and warm, while flared skirts are far too impractical for a windy city.

Ever since I traded in my F21 black trousers for some grown-up Theory pants, I am hooked! I love the tapered silhouette and it’s my adult version of sweatpants. Soo comfy and stylish at the same time! This is one of my favorite outfits for running errands or a casual hangout with friends. Plus, oxfords are a great alternative to ballet flats for some added interest to a simple outfit.

heat appropriate summer work outfit tank tapered pant

To bring this outfit from casual to work appropriate, I swap shoes and add a blazer.

Peeptoes, simple sandals, or wedges are a great summer option when pumps feel stifling. As much as I adore my pumps, I think something that gives your feet some air is a welcome change.

heat wave appropriate summer work outfit tank tapered pants double breasted blazer

If you’re like me and you hate sweat stains on your shirts, you can never go wrong with a light colored top. It hides the sweat better than colored ones if you are prone to perspire.

When you head indoors or as the weather cools down later in the day, a blazer helps keep you warm and professional. Can you tell I’ve been reading The Style Blogger a lot lately? I’m taking cues from menswear blogs with this double-breasted, boyfriend-style blazer.

heat wave appropriate summer work outfit tank tapered pant double breasted blazer

Outfit Details: Buckley Tailors (Madewell) double breasted blazer – XS, Aritizia tank – XS, Theory Kissan Pant – 00, Target belt, Steve Madden Tuxxedo oxfords, Payless peeptoes

Shop: blazer, tank, pant, oxfords

Mixing masculine and feminine details always create a strong and vibrant look. The juxtaposition of the plaid blazer with the floral tank creates an intersting visual feast despite the relative simplicity of the individual items. By moving away from the traditional hourglass silhouette and playing with proportions, a small change can make a world of difference between looking ok and looking fantastic. So have fun and stay cool!

To see past challenge participation, click here.

To see more outfits for this challenge, click the icon below:

Petite Fashion Challenge

• Michelle July 30, 2011, 5:31 pm

Your top is gorgeous!

I loved seeing the different solutions you pictured! Those oxfords are great…love the laces!!

• Amber July 30, 2011, 5:52 pm

i adore those pants!! i need some. i must go look. your pics are always beautiful, these are no exception!

• Jessy July 30, 2011, 6:02 pm

I like the fit of those pants! Sort of harem pants ishhh, no? Loving those white shoes!

• admin August 2, 2011, 9:34 pm

Definitely like harem pants without the low crotch. lol.

• Vicky July 30, 2011, 6:11 pm

It’s funny how a pair of shoes and an additional blazer can change an outfit from casual to work appropriate instantaneously. I love this look on you, Jessy! Those white shoes are to die for.

• SewPetiteGal July 30, 2011, 7:11 pm

I agree with Vicky – just adding the blazer and changing shoes completely changed the tone of the whole ensemble! Love the blousy look of the top tucked in and belted with that turquoise/blue belt!

• Cee July 30, 2011, 7:14 pm

You are so right about the pants. They look so comfortable from my viewpoint too. They hit you at the perfect place to show off your pretty heels. Great job with this outfit, Jess!

• sweetarchivia July 30, 2011, 8:09 pm

Really love the Aritzia tank! Such a pretty print.

• Tinymum July 30, 2011, 8:59 pm

You look very comfy in your attire, easy-breezy! Your blazer transformed you to an instant chic professional! Ultimate topper!

• bravoerunway July 30, 2011, 9:30 pm

Thank you for stopping by and letting me know what camera you are currently using! The one you currently have is fantastic, I got toss up of suggestions between Nikon and Canon! The one you currently have is amazing I believe from a recent tweet Sea of Shoes also uses the same camera so this will definitely be something to keep in mind!

• petitepremed July 30, 2011, 11:01 pm

I love that you took this outfit from casual to the workplace. You look awesome!

• jenny July 31, 2011, 3:12 am

i’ve always wanted to try these pleated pants, but can’t pull them off. you’ve worn them & styled them so professionally and adorably!

jenny

• Tara July 31, 2011, 4:33 am

I really love that top…you look adorable!

• Elle July 31, 2011, 5:24 am

I love the menswear looks! And the pants fit you beautifully! I agree that loose fitting items fare better in the heat and you really did well with that! :)

• kileen July 31, 2011, 6:22 am

you always have the best menswear inspired looks! those pants are great and i really like how they look with the oxfords. but switching it up and adding the pumps and blazer really dresses it up. love it!

cute & little

• Olyvia July 31, 2011, 11:02 am

Jess, you rock those pants! I haven’t really seen pleated pants look good on anyone, but yours look so stylish! Love that it gives you that edgy menswear look but still soft and feminine.

• A July 31, 2011, 11:49 am

Lovely print and I admire your relaxed poses! I keep looking constipated in mine.

• Really Petite July 31, 2011, 2:45 pm

Jess you look so sassy! LOL You are rockin’ the pants and the top is adorable:)

• Rinny July 31, 2011, 3:42 pm

Great post! I agree that wearing loose, light layers is the way to go. And not only does light colored clothing hide sweat stains better, but it also doesn’t absorb as much sunlight. Personally, to accommodate for changes in temperature, I do the latter and just tack on a blazer on top of everything – jeans, skirts, dresses, shorts, etc :D

• Kiki July 31, 2011, 3:52 pm

Loving the masculine and feminine elements! This is my favorite way to play with styling!

• Erin July 31, 2011, 7:50 pm

LOVE this look on you – the top is great and the pants look so cool and comfy! :)

• Elaine A (TOBeautyReviews) July 31, 2011, 8:41 pm

Love that last picture Jess, so uber chic and cool! That top is so pretty too, very feminine and looks so lightweight and comfortable :)

• El.Vi. July 31, 2011, 10:17 pm

I don’t think I can pull off pants like you…but your outfit is great!

• B August 1, 2011, 7:32 am

First one I’ve seen with pants, for this challenge! Looks great! The silhouette of the pants really works!

• Quest for Fashion Sense August 1, 2011, 8:38 am

Loved that last picture and the print of your blouse is very pretty. I think I’d look frumpy in pleated cropped pants, but you pull it off with effortless ease. You’ve got a great Annie Hall vibe going on.

• kimchi girl August 1, 2011, 7:54 pm

the last pic has got to be my fave! i do agree the pants you’re wearing are like “adult sweats”, hehe. it’s like an oxymoron: how can something look so amazing on but feel so comfy, LOL?

• ACC August 2, 2011, 4:56 am

I love the whole outfit (the floral + menswear combination never fails), and those pants again, they’re so great! I love the strong silhouette of that blazer too.