Switching to Barely There

One of my personal goals is to have a healthier and more eco-friendly lifestyle.

I’m taking steps here and there, but my makeup collection is probably one of the most chemically toxic aspects of my life (aside from my car, but that’s another story). So one dreary afternooon, I made the jump to Bare Escentuals.

bare minerals, bare escentuals, tarte, l'occitane, makeup

For the past several years, I’ve been a liquid and cream foundation girl, but fairly low-maintenance with makeup overall. I dabbled a bit with e.l.f. minerals but it was too messy. Fast forward to the present, I’m ready to try mineral foundation again.

It’s been two weeks and I’m still getting used to it…all this swirling, buffing, tapping…it takes some finesse to get it to look just right. With Fairly Light and Warm Rose as my foundation and blush color respectively, I’m getting a creamy matte finish with a subtle, healthy glow. My skin is balancing out so it’s not too dry and not too oily, which makes it kind of perfect for mineral makeup. I follow Jen, Eki, and MakeupForLife for cosmetic advice since I’m obviously not a makeup artist or guru.

Other products I’m using is Tarte vitamin infused lipstick, L’Occitane shea butter hand cream, and Ulta automatic eye liner. As each item wears out, I hope to replace them with better and healthier versions but I haven’t found any HG (Holy Grail) items yet.

I’d love to know, where do you look for makeup advice and what are your favorite HG makeup products?

Bloglovin’ | Facebook | Twitter | Tumblr

• Maggie November 18, 2011, 9:11 am

Glad to see that you’re making a switch to find more eco-friendly items! I’m in the process of doing the same, actually. Awhile back, I was doing an internship at the David Suzuki Foundation, where I learned of the awful chemicals that are in some of our most intimate products. They have a Dirty Dozen guide http://www.davidsuzuki.org/issues/health/science/toxics/dirty-dozen-cosmetic-chemicals/ – a list of chemicals to avoid in cosmetics.

There’s Lead in your Lipstick by Gill Deacon includes several product/brand recommendations. You can see some here: http://www.davidsuzuki.org/blogs/queen-of-green/2011/04/safe-cosmetic-brands-uncovered/

For make up, I try to avoid parabens (and any form of it) and fragrance. I also use Bare Escentuals products right now. For lips, I use Rocky Mountain Soap Company http://www.rockymountainsoap.com/

I hope that’s useful information! Good luck!

• Our Wired Lives November 18, 2011, 10:29 am

Welcome to the Bare Escentuals World! I’ve been a user for about 8 years and refuse to switch.

• Elaine A (TOBeautyReviews) November 18, 2011, 11:08 am

I love Bare Minerals!! Since I sell Avon I just use the Avon version which I find works just as well and it much less expensive. I find though that I’ve had to switch back to liquid foundation and I use the mineral powder on top b/c I have been breaking out more and need a lot more coverage. If you layer the mineral powder on too much it can get cakey and for someone with oily skin like me it looks awful at the end of the day.

I get a lot of make up info from fellow bloggers, all my make up artist friends on twitter and for the “chemistry” behind everything I go to Louise of http://cosmeticsbee.blogspot.com/

• AUBS* November 18, 2011, 11:37 am

well this is just what i noticed from experience. I don’t buy the store generic products from Sephora & Ulta. They are not worth the money and you might as well just buy drug store, which can be better. For me, it’s either “designer” or “drug store” makeup. no in betweens. (w/the exception of like Sephora by OPI)

The thing that I think makes the most difference is shadow primer. I have oily lids. A must-have for me is a peachy blush or a pink w/gold shimmer blush. and perfecting the cat eye. and lastly, lash curler that you feel reaches all the hairs, & oil blotting sheets if you’re oily like me.

• Amber November 18, 2011, 4:34 pm

im more of a skincare person than makeup, but i do have a few favorites. i use everyday minerals on a regular basis. its cheap and works well. for blush i’m a nars fan. i just tried tarte and its just not the same. oh, the one item i couldnt live without is ysl touche eclat. its amazing. any other products (shadows, mascara, lip, etc) i can switch in a second and be ok with.

• Ellen November 18, 2011, 10:58 pm

I think the items I go to most, or my “HG” items as it were, are definitely Korres lip balm (sheer tint and tons of moisture!) and Nars sheer glow foundation. Love Bare Escentuals too!

xx,
    Ellen

• ElVi November 20, 2011, 12:26 pm

I am still trying to find the perfect foundation…currently I am using sephora’s liquid one…I just like a medium coverage so I never even bother with the powdery ones….maybe I should look further into mineral makeup