‚Č° Menu

A Stitch in Time

As 2010 comes to an end (as quickly as 365 days can pass) and 2011 dawns, it is always important to take the time to stop, step back, and assess the year in style.

In January 2010, I boldly revealed my face and started thinking about the different combinations of outfits that can exist in one’s closet. I played with scarves, skirts, shorts, pants, etc. and saw that remixing items you already have can be just as fun as showing off new ones… and less expensive.

When I first started to post my outfits, I tended toward the typical jeans and t-shirt look with a penchant for loose billowy tops. I was more comfortable hiding my frame than showing it off and I’m still working on adopting a slimmer, more figure-skimming silhouette.

My style has evolved alongside my changing hairstyles and I discovered that with a little effort toward styling, an outfit can go from boring to amazing with a few accessories or the right makeup look.

This past year, I took more risks, indulged in boyish looks, and experimented with makeup. I’m not the girliest girl on the block, but having a wide range of style possibilities allows me to be more versatile with my clothing choices. I realized that pushing your creative boundaries by trying on different things helps you figure out your own personal style and it’s not the newest trends or latest items that truly make you stylish.

From left to right: Christina, Grace, Kelly, Jean, Aubrey, and Me (Jess)

{via Extra Petite}

Speaking of stylish, I met up with fellow petites in San Diego this past Thursday at Gordon Biersch. With bloggers Jean of Extra Petite, Kelly of AlterationsNeeded and Christina of Chibi & Chic, it was fun to converse about the nerdy side of blogging. San Diego readers/commenters Aubrey and Grace were also in attendance and it was wonderful to connect a face to the name. We spoke of many things and laughed the night away. It was then that I truly appreciated the AlterationsNeeded forum and the community that has been built upon it.

I love meeting new people and by sharing our collective experiences, we were able to come away with so much more about petite-friendly companies, styles, and brands.

For 2011, I’ll be writing from the SF Bay Area so please let me know what you’d like to see for the new year whether it’s more outfit posts, fashion events, DIY projects, style guides, etc.!

Click below for more photos.

• Unee January 2, 2011, 8:07 am

i love the wide range of styles!

• tiff January 2, 2011, 8:31 am

love your style, past and present :) I would like to see more DIY projects this year….that’s actually how I first came across your blog.

• Kileen January 2, 2011, 8:35 am

what a great year for you, Jess!! I love seeing how your style has evolved over time and what a great San Diego meetup too!

• Curls and Pearls January 2, 2011, 9:18 am

Wow I guess I only started reading your blog with your short hair, you are such a chameleon!

I love seeing pictures of all you ladies together. 2010 has been a crazy year for me too “meeting” all of you and getting to know you :)

• really petite January 2, 2011, 9:55 am

I think you are one of the more unique petite bloggers because of you style and love that about you!!!

How nice that you petite ladies together got to meet up:)

• SewPetiteGal January 2, 2011, 10:14 am

Love the evolution of looks! My favorite in the bunch is the red lip with the faux fur. I am hoping to take a cue from you and also try some closet remixes rather than feel like I need something new all the time.

And love the meet-up photos! You’re all so beautiful!

• Elle January 2, 2011, 11:27 am

Love all of your outfits, I have to say I have really taken a liking to your menswear looks. You’ve really perfected that look.

The meetup pictures are so cute, can’t say enough that you ladies are so beautiful!

• admin January 2, 2011, 12:59 pm

@Unee: Thanks! I push myself to try different styles and see if I can pull it off. Not everything is successful the but attempt satisfies my curiosity.

@Tiff: I’ve been working on a couple of DIY projects but I haven’t finished them…but I’ll get back to it so I can post more about them!

@Kileen: My style has definitely changed, but I’ve kept a lot of my clothes throughout this entire process, so I just wear them differently now.

• admin January 2, 2011, 1:06 pm

@Curls and Pearls: I think my hair really affects my style but in a good way. It’s great to get more involved with the petite blogging community! =)

@Really Petite: Thanks for your lovely comment! I haven’t found my “signature” style or outfit yet, so I’m still experimenting which keeps things interesting. It’s so fun meeting other bloggers too! =)

@SewPetiteGal: Closet remixing has been key since I can’t buy everything and I don’t want to! I’ve noticed that when I do buy things now, they’re always along the same vein…I had a period where all I bought were striped tops (3 to be exact) so I need to be better about that.

@Elle: I’m loving the menswear styles because it kind of goes with my natural inclination of hiding curves, but at the same time, it’s way more stylish than the way I used to be. =)

• Jen January 2, 2011, 4:55 pm

Happy New Year!
    Since you’ll be in SF, could you stop by Zara every so often and tell her that I love her? :)

• Olyvia January 2, 2011, 6:32 pm

wow, the hair totally changed, I’ve only started reading your blog since your short hair :) I would love to see more outfits-of-the-days with interesting SF city backgrounds!

• The Little Dust Princess January 2, 2011, 7:57 pm

You have great style, Jess! You are so bold to cut off your hair – I don’t think I’d ever be brave enough to do that. hahaha Happy new year!

xx The Little Dust Princess

• Simple Subtle Style January 2, 2011, 8:12 pm

Nice recap. I really love your boyish styles and am thinking about giving it a try. Will continue to follow you in SF in 2011. Happy New Year!

• admin January 2, 2011, 8:32 pm

@Jen: LOL. Will do since I love Zara too! =)

@Olyvia: I’ll do my best to put some great backgrounds for my photos! I’ll be a tourist for the first few weeks for sure!

@The Little Dust Princess: Thanks so much for your compliment! I’m not very attached to my hair as I am with my shoes or my clothes so I change it all the time.

@Simple Subtle Style: You should experiment and try out new things! It never hurts to try and you satisfy your curiosity for it too! =)

• Christina January 2, 2011, 9:59 pm

It was wonderful meeting everyone! Actually, I mentioned to Jessy of TLDP about how I am tempted to cut my hair short after seeing yours! I’ve only recently started frequently reading petite fashion blogs, but I would also agree with others that I appreciate the outfits you put together the most. I think it’s great that you’re experimenting with different styles, new and old. I am in love with menswear in general (sometimes I wish I was a male so I could “suit up” every day, according to Barney’s demanding nature on How I Met Your Mother!). If I were to define your style in one word, I wouldn’t be able to! And I think it’s awesome.

I’m a hug fan of vests, so I hope to see more of them this year! Happy New Year!

• Christina January 2, 2011, 10:01 pm

**huge fan

• admin January 3, 2011, 10:36 am

Thanks Christina for your wonderful comment! I know I don’t have a set style yet, but I hope to narrow it down some more this year and figure out what I really like. I wish I could suit up too because people always look so put together in a suit. =)

• Aubrey January 3, 2011, 11:34 am

Jess!!! It was so wonderful to meet you in person. Cheers to another year of documenting your changes as you start living in a new city and evolving your style!

• admin January 3, 2011, 1:05 pm

Thanks Aubrey! I enjoyed meeting you as well and hearing your opinions! =)

• C. January 3, 2011, 2:40 pm

I love this retrospective. Such great outfits that I’ll totally have to borrow from. :) And what a gorgeous group of petite bloggers! Checking them out now.

C.

• Liz January 3, 2011, 5:31 pm

Happy New Year! Wow, you look so different with long/short hair but beautiful with either look!

• admin January 3, 2011, 7:01 pm

@C: Thanks! I think it’s helpful to see how much I’ve changed over the course of the year and how much still stays the same. =)

@Liz: Happy New Year to you too! I think hair styles really affect my style and my overall look…but it’s fun because it pushes me to “reinvent” myself.

• Christina January 3, 2011, 7:25 pm

I hope that if you do narrow it down, that you will still continue to experiment with various styles! All your looks have been very inspirational.

Perhaps in a future meetup, we should all “suit up!”, play laser tag, and have a glass of scotch. ;]

• admin January 3, 2011, 8:15 pm

LOL. I don’t think I can stop experimenting, but definitely streamline the looks so they’re not costume-y. I wouldn’t mind dressing up for our next meet-up…a zoot suit perhaps? =P

• Cara-Mia January 4, 2011, 12:19 am

How did I just hear about Alterations Needed?? That would’ve been such a fun meetup – San Diego is less than 2 hours away from me. :(

• admin January 4, 2011, 11:02 am

I’m sure there will be future meet-ups so you can get to know other bloggers too! =)

• MizzJ January 4, 2011, 10:19 am

Your style certainly has changed! It’s been cool watching it evolve over the past year and I’m looking forward to seeing what you put together next for 2011!

• admin January 4, 2011, 11:03 am

I didn’t really notice the changes until I put all the photos together and I’m glad you enjoyed it! I hope next year will be just as exciting for style experiments! =)

• R.L. January 5, 2011, 10:45 am

Wow, you’ve had such different looks. I think it’s so awesome that you aren’t afraid to mix it up and try new things.

My Asian friends always complain how non-Asian ppl think we all look alike. Secretly, I think there’s some truth to it, because I can’t count how many Asian girls have had the same hairstyle and clothing year in and year out. (I’m sure that could be applied to young ppl in general as well.) It’s so refreshing to see someone with a unique sense of style that doesn’t involve going punk rocker or something extreme.

• admin January 5, 2011, 11:40 pm

Thanks R.L., it really means a lot that you noticed the different styles and looks! For the longest time, I was in that rut where I had that typical long Asian hairstyle, jeans, and tee look…and I just looked so young and childish.

So I figured if I wanted to be myself, I can’t always do what everyone else is doing or wear what everyone’s wearing…I had to find and discover my own identity. And by trying new things and documenting them, I can see what works and what doesn’t.

I’ve worn uniforms for most of my life and I had to conform to certain dress code rules, but now that I’m older, I don’t want to do that…wear things like a uniform. I’d much rather be a little quirky and off kilter to express my personality through clothes. Life is too short to not have fun and experiment. =)

• PetiteXXS January 12, 2011, 8:07 pm

It’s been so fun to see you slowly transform into your current look! You were so ‘cute’ back then but now you’re simply sophisticated! :)

• admin January 13, 2011, 6:54 pm

Thanks! I think I still have a ways to go before I solidify my style but it’s great to be considered sophisticated! =)